Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Christmas Theme 2019

It's Christmas Time in the City


I love this theme!  I am so thrilled to be doing It's Christmas Time in the City for my theme this year.  I love to think of the families back when my parents were younger and when I was a child.  There is something undeniably special about the 1940's and 1950's eras.  The way people carried themselves when doing their shopping was so perfect in my opinion.  They actually dressed up and fixed themselves neatly to go out for a day shopping or eating or visiting friends and family.   I found this photo of me with Santa.  How adorable!


Debra with Santa at G.C. Murphy in Washington, PA




I have been dreaming of spending Christmas in a large city this year.  It is not possible, but the dream is compelling.  I love the idea of looking down on the shoppers rushing home with their treasures as in my favorite song, Silver Bells.  I love imagining the gifts they bought and how they will wrap them with care for their loved ones on Christmas day.  It is fascinating to see those shoppers in my mind.  The ladies dressed in heels and wool coats and gloves, smiling and greeting friends on the street to discuss the shopping they are so enjoying.  The men in their suits and overcoats with collars turned up against falling snow and looking a bit concerned and unsure of this shopping experience to get the perfect gifts.  I imagine mothers with children bundled up against the snow, hurrying to finish and get the children home for their dinner.  The young people searching for gifts for family members with their friends...feeling excited for this first Christmas shopping excursion and happy to have help to choose the perfect present.  I can see the taxis lined up outside Macy’s picking up shoppers who have an armload of packages and a way to go to get home.  I love to read the name of the shops on the bags in my dream.  Macy’s, Bergdorf Goodman’s, Saks, Pandora, FAO Schwartz, Elizabeth Arden, Harry Winston, Tiffany’s…and so many others.  I imagine what might be in those bags and who they are purchased for.  I dream of beautiful gift wrap and bows and twinkling trees at their homes.  
It is wonderful to look around at my suite with the large windows to gaze out and daydream.  I love seeing the decorations in every store window through the falling snowflakes.  I will bundle up my family and head out for my own shopping, dining at Saks 5th Avenue Restaurant and gazing in awe at the tree at Rockefeller Center.  We will send our precious packages back to the hotel and head for Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockettes!  It is so exciting to see the Christmas Spectacular!  The snow is still falling gently as we head back to our hotel, The Plaza.  We are so happy to have had our gifts wrapped so we can snuggle in and have hot cocoa and cookies and relax while watching a Hallmark Christmas movie.  

Hotel-$920 per night
Gifts-$3087
Dinner-$924
Rockettes show-$1175
Christmas Day-Priceless!


Photos of New York City Fifth Avenue shopping at Christmas!








My wrapping paper, ribbons, tags, tissue paper, and package tie ons.  I bought the city paper and red woody cars at Target in 2018 in preparation for this year.  I plan my themes out for two years ahead so I can be on the lookout for just the right paper and tags, and other items needed to complete the theme.  The gold glitter trees came from WalMart.  The tissue paper collection is from Sam's Club.  

2 comments:

  1. I remember Christmas shopping uptown in Washington, Pa. I would shop with my mom and grandma and we would go to G.C. Murphys to shop and have lunch. The town was beautifully decorated with vintage decorations in the windows and lamp posts adorned with wreaths. Mom and grandma are gone now but the memories live on and those are certainly priceless



    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message! We would love to hear from our followers! Please let us know you stopped by!